Thursday, May 8, 2014

Book Club: Love Letters to the Dead

Image: here

The first book of break is read! This is a momentous occasion...I can tell you're enthusiastic too. About a month ago I saw Emma Watson on Twitter talking about this book that was coming out by Ava Dellaira, "Love Letters to the Dead." It sounded interesting so I promptly went on Amazon to pre-order the e-book. I started reading it after I finished unpacking here at home. I loved this book!

It is pretty different. It is written entirely in letter form. The reader is able to follow the story pretty easily through what the main character, Laurel, writes in the letters. Throughout the story, Laurel writes to a variety of deceased famous people and draws comparisons from there lives and what is going on in her own. Over the past year, Laurel and her family have been trying to cope with the passing of her older sister, May. Through these letters, Laurel in a way seeks advice and makes slow improvements that also lead to her finding a way to accept her sisters death. The letters start as a school assignment to write one letter to any one deceased person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain, her sister's favorite. From there she writes several others to Amy Winehouse, Judy Garland, Heath Ledger, River Phoenix and a few others.

I found the book to be beautiful. There were a few parts that were pretty heavy, but these occur more towards the end. The end is definitely where I started crying! I definitely recommend this book to everyone. I got through it pretty quickly, which is something that I like in a summer read.

<3 Ashley

Have you read "Love Letters to the Dead?" What did you think? Do you think you will read it if you haven't?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...